Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Frosting
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice (or 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon each allspice and cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin puree
- FOR THE HONEY FROSTING
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 bar (8 ounces) regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese, very soft
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
- Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.
- Make Honey Frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk butter, cream cheese, and honey until smooth.
- Spread top of cooled cake with honey frosting. Cut cake into squares to serve.