Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oatmeal with Grated Apple

so delicious, not a drop left. Look at my adorable Marimekko mug though. It's love.

Waking up to one of the coldest, brightest mornings this Month, oatmeal seemed like the perfect way to start the day. Plus, I can attest to it still sticking satisfyingly to my ribs as we speak :) While we do resort to the instant oatmeal on weekdays, the weekend offers a perfect chance to really savor the real stuff. This recipe comes from Mirelle Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat, memoir/cookbook. Though I've always appreciated French cuisine, I never found it accessible until I read this book. I've since gone on to explore more French cooking to my great delight. This cookbook still has my favorite recipes for poached pears, pumpkin pie, French bread and a whole host of other things. Including oatmeal. I reduced the recipe so it makes enough for two and also sweetened it a bit.

Oatmeal with Grated Apple

adapted from French Women Don't Get Fat

1 c old fashioned oatmeal

1 3/4 c water

pinch of salt

1 medium apple, coarsely grated

1/2 tsp lemon juice

1/3 c milk

1/2 tsp butter
2 Tbs brown sugar
sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)


Combine the oatmeal, water and salt in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Add the grated apple and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the milk, sugar and butter and cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately. Add cinnamon if desired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Pen Drive, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://pen-drive-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.